History of the Embassy
The Embassy of the Republic of Ghana was established in Moscow, March, 1960 and is concurrently accredited to Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Moldova and Mongolia.
The current Ambassador, Her Excellency Oheneba Dr. Lesley Akyaa Opoku- Ware is the fourteenth Ambassador and first female in the role since the Embassy was established in March of 1960.
The principal role of the Mission is to co-ordinate, promote and protect the interest of Ghana and her nationals in the Russian Federation and all the countries of concurrentaccreditation. As well, to enhance, promote and sustain the friendly political, socio-cultural, educational, economic and trade ties between Ghana and the countries of accreditation.
History: On 6th March, 1957, representing the Soviet Union at Ghana’s Independence, was a delegation led by Mr. Ivan Benediktov (USSR Minister of State and also a former Ambassador to India and Yugoslavia).Ghana and the Soviet Union established diplomatic relations soon after, on 14th January, 1958 and the Soviet Embassy in Accra was subsequently opened in 1960 and the Ghana Mission opened its doors on Pogodinskaya Ulitsa, 12, Moscow.In February 1961 – Leonid Brezhnev (Secretary-General of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union) visited Ghana followed by a return historic 10-day state visit by President Nkrumah to the Soviet Union in July, 1961.
The Soviet-Ghana friendship society was set up in that same year.To emphasize the importance of the relationship between Ghana and the Soviet Union, President Nkrumah was met at the steps of the plane by President Nikita Khrushchev as well as the
Secretary-General Leonid Brezhnev.
Trade, Economic and Cultural agreements were signed culminating in a lively exchange of artists, writers, sportsmen and academicians. A soviet Cultural Centre was set up in Accra. Of note, the cooperation with the USSR was a significant driver of the development of the Ghanaian industry. The Soviet Union helped Ghana in building the necessary infrastructure of the newly decolonized country:
- Precious metals refinery in Tarkwa
- Integrated house-building factory in Accra
- Fishing fleet and fish-processing plant.
- Project works for the construction of the Bui Hydroelectric power plant.
They assisted in building houses, educational centres, hospitals and Soviet geologists helped in mapping the deposits of gold, limestone, manganese, and phosphorites. Hundreds of Soviet specialists comprising geologists, engineers, doctors and teachers worked in Ghana in the 1960s and in the 1970s, Soviet specialists carried out exploration work in search of oil in the Volta region. There was also an exchange of military delegations.
In February 1961, Ghana and the USSR signed the agreement on cooperation in the peaceful exploration of nuclear energy, in accordance with which the USSR helped Ghana in the creation of a nuclear reactor for research purposes and the isotope laboratory in Legon (University of Ghana), whilst also preparing academic staff for nuclear
Chief Soviet expert on Ghana, first director of the Institute for African Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Ivan Potekhin, noted in his book about Ghana written in 1965, “the practical business cooperation with the socialist countries helps Ghana to
achieve the main aim of the second stage of anti-imperialist revolution — the economic independence. The principal value of such cooperation is determined not by the amount of mutually beneficial deals, but by the fact that it takes the imperialist countries away from their monopolist positions and by this decreases their opportunity to dictate”
Not until the maiden historic Russia-Africa Summit in Sochi on 22nd October, 2019 before another Ghana President, would set foot on Russian soil. His Excellency President Nana
Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo arrived with a noteworthy delegation at the invitation of President Vladimir Putin to reaffirm to the summit Ghana’s open-door policy of cooperation and a Ghana Beyond Aid.